banana zucchini chocolate chip muffins
I have near two dozen fresh picked apples sitting on my kitchen counter from last weekend’s visit to Stribling Orchard. I should be baking with apples! I blame it on being a little appled out. When Zan took me apple picking earlier in the season, for my birthday in September, I went a wee little bit overboard, baking apple pie cookies, apple cake, apple strudel muffins… basically everything short of apple pie, itself (how’d I miss that?!). I need to get over that, though, because I have half a dozen more apple recipes I want to try, and these fresh apples don’t stay good for very long! (I don’t think I could have said “apples” more in that paragraph!)
In my apple hiatus, I wanted to try baking with bananas. When I went to Boston a few weekends ago, Mel made banana bread, and y’all won’t believe this, but it was my first time ever having it! And I loved it. So when I got home, I searched my pantry for what I could make with what I had: one brown banana, a zucchini and chocolate chips.
I used this base recipe for zucchini chocolate chip muffins and made it my own. I’ve put the original recipe here, along with my changes, in italics. These are the best muffins I’ve quite possibly ever eaten. They’re moist, chocolatey (without *all* the guilt) and have stayed delicious for the five days I’ve managed to keep them around. In fact, I’m eating the very last one as I type this!
(banana) chocolate chip zucchini muffins, All Recipes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cup all-purpose, 3/4 cup whole wheat
3/4 cup white sugar 2/3 cup white sugar, 1/3 brown
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon omitted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1/4 cup apple butter without sugar (I get mine from Stribling)
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract always +a drop or two more
1 cup shredded zucchini I use a cheese grater for this
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips Yeah, right! 1 cup regular sized!
1/2 cup chopped walnuts omitted
+ One ‘bad,’ browned banana, mashed until near smooth – mix into zucchini (there should be liquid in the bowl)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners I use a pinch of sugar and flour to keep them from sticking
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon (if used) and salt in a bowl.
- Mix egg, oil/apple butter, milk, lemon juice and vanilla in another bowl
- Stir wet bowl ingredients into dry bowl until just moistened.
- Mix in your zucchini/banana bowl
- Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts, if you’re using them.
- Fill muffin tin 3/4 full
- Bake for 20-25 minutes Mine were perfect at about 21-22 minutes!
- Eat warm with milk. Mmmmmm!!
- Share with friends, family, coworkers, etc and enjoy how much everyone else loves them, too!
**The original recipe makes 12; mine makes about 15, depending on size.